Friday, April 12, 2013

Lesson Learned

I can truly understand why pride is one of the seven deadly sins. I learned a very important lesson this week and am very thankful. While I wish I could erase the incident in question from my track record, I am glad that I serve a God that is full of grace and disciplines his children.

I had a specific goal in mind that I wanted to reach. I was confident that if I took certain actions that I would make a name for myself and achieve my goal. In my mind I knew what I needed to do and was on the path to get there. Enter God. He quickly put the kibosh on my agenda. I was striving to be known, that people would recognize my name and be impressed with what I had done. Fail. I was putting myself first and not wanting to make God's name known. I made it all about me and God put me back in my place.

Hebrews 12:6 tells us that God disciplines those that he loves. Well, I can sure testify to that! I have been humbled by the current situation that I am in. If God wants me to reach this goal it will happen, and it will be from him (James 1:17). It will not be based on what I did or didn't do. If I reach my goal it will be to bring him glory, not myself. I got so caught up in what I wanted, I forgot to consider what God wanted or what would bring him the greatest glory.

I am eternally grateful for his discipline and forgiveness. I am also thankful that all this went down with people who seek to serve him and practice forgiveness and grace. All I can do now is move on and consider this a lesson learned. I have to remember that he must become greater, and I must become less (John 3:30).

No comments:

Post a Comment